Bikerafting. New craft and bike and trial on the Yarra river.

The Yarra river flows through the heart of Melbourne and offers a fine refuge from the stress of urban living. With bicycle trails following its banks, it was a great place to experiment with bikerafting.

 A little while ago I sold  my Robfin Big Bro packraft and instantly regretted it. It is a fantastic packraft and there is very little product on the market that meets its technical specification and capability. To rub it in, the price has gone up considerably and availability of anything packraft is scarce.  Seller's remorse - the deed was done, so be it and move on.


 

Due to the lack of availability of product, especially whitewater self-bailers, I decided to go for a craft suitable for bikerafting.  I tried bike rafting in 2018 see Learning the art of Packrafting on the Mersey River, Tasmania , but did not take it up due to a greater interest in whitewater and frustration with paddle strike on the bike when paddling. I figured with newer packraft designs and the use of a folding bike, that I would revisit this version of the packraft sport.

 I purchased an MRS Tulo packraft , which was a very nice craft and had a removable fin on the stern. I would have kept it, had it been for the fact that it did not have a TiZip.  Though I rarely used, I feel that a TiZip is important for multi-day journeys, and it also makes the repair of pontoon tears easier (as you can place an object inside to tension the fabric see my field repair on the Tatshenshini.). Thanks very much to PaKraft for accepting its return, and as I say, had it not been for the lack of TiZip it would've been a keeper.

Somebody was listening: Packraft Australia sent me a note to say that the  Alpacka Caribou is now in stock. Limited supplies of course. Promptly I put my order in. It is a nice looking product, a bit dearer than the MRS product and it also does not have a back rest nor fin.  Time will tell if either of those features are needed.


From the image above, you might note that I have a folding bike. I remembered the paddle strike issue with my 29er, so I figured that a folding bike would be a good option. As it happens, an Airnimal folding bike came up for sale in Sydney at an amenable price, so I bought it on trust.  Little did I know that it was the Chameleon version, which is the higher spec'd version: I did well.


I did a trial bikeraft trip on the Yarra river in Melbourne, travelling by bike from Westerfolds park to Pound Bend via the bike trails then paddling down the river. The bike rides well on the road, not much different to a racing bike (probably unnoticeable with drop handlebars). On dirt, it is not bad, though on soft surfaces it is a bit skittish.  I will see if I can get a wider tyre or perhaps rims should wish to keep it.

On the raft, I confirmed the benefit of the folding bike. It fits neatly between the pontoons. No paddle strike: I am happy. (The image below shows the handlebar protruding, it now does not with a reposition.)


The packraft tracks well paddling n the river as I am able to apply a good paddle stroke. I had no issues travelling down the small rapids encountered along the way.


I have a concern with the raft deflating, perhaps I am not closing the valve off properly or it's just the air cooling from the water. Not an issue I had with the Robfin !  Not having a backrest hasn't been an issue, I probably need a longer paddle to cast a proper decision in that direction.

The paddle and bike ride was a fun day of activity. At Pound Bend there is an old mining diversion tunnel, which is a popular swimming location.


There is quite a bit of bird life and the banks hide well the fact that you are in the middle of the 'burbs.


There are many tracks to play on and none-too-demanding. With the assistance of a mapping application, it is not too hard to get to your destination.



Blog Indexes:






 

Comments